Melissa Romero, mother to Sierra, Sydney, Michael, and Sophia Romero knows a thing or two about being a softball/baseball mom. She shares some of her secret softball mom tips with FloSoftball.
How to Clean White Softball PantsFirst and foremost I dislike dingy white softball pants. The way I have been able to keep our kids pants clean throughout the years is by following these easy steps.
- Pre-treat stain with Oxi-clean Max Force Spray and scrub the affected area whether its dirt, clay, grass stains, eye black, or if you just have a messy eater on your hands (LOL).
- Let this sit for at a minimum 30 min.
- Rinse the pants in the bathtub. Fill the bath tub with about 5 inches of water and add a cup of 20 mule Team Borax (USE Gloves). Scrub and let sit for another 20 minutes (you can let sit longer depending upon the severity of the stain)
- Place the pants in the washer on HOT and by themselves I add a TIDE pod and a cup of bleach (do not add fabric softener)
- Hang dry pants and uniform.
Big mistake parents make is placing pants in the dryer, I learned my lesson now I hang dry their softball and baseball uniforms.
Plan for the WeekendTIP 1: Parents please always carry pickle juice when your kids are playing in hot weather. If your child gets cramps which is usually caused by dehydration, have your child drink an ounce or two. It usually starts working within a couple of minutes, it did for all of our kids. I always had crackers on hand in case of an upset stomach as well from drinking the pickle juice.
TIP 2: Packing a cooler was always something I loved to do because I wanted to make sure when the kids had four games in a day they had some yummy food they could have during their breaks.
What I packed in my cooler:
- Fresh Fruit
- 7 Vegetables with hummus,
- A couple of pre-made salads (or if you feel like cutting all the ingredients the night before that's an option too)
- I always had plenty of drinks and my one go too meal was a simple chicken tostada dish.
Chicken Tostada RecipeThe night before a game:
- Take five chicken breasts boil and shred.
- Boil 4 peeled potatoes and cut up really small.
- Add the potatoes to the chicken and a medley of their favorite vegetables like corn, pees, carrots.
- Mix it all together with a light mayo and salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated and when you take to the field keep in the cooler.
- Spread the cold mixture on a Tostada shell
- Add your favorite hot sauce I'm telling you, you will be the hero at the softball field.
Thank you for allowing me to come into your home and share a few things that have made our lives easier throughout the years.
Blessings to you,
Like what you see?Sign up for our newsletter to stay current on all the recruiting news, live events, rankings, FloFilms, and more of your favorite content from FloSoftball.
DIY Softball Hacks
10 Softball Braids of the Summer