Delaware vs James Madison | CAA Softball Championships | May 14
May 14, 2021
Watch the replay of CAA Softball Championships Delaware vs James Madison from May 14, 2021 on FloSoftball.
HARRISONBURG, Va. -- #22 James Madison is crowned the 2021 Colonial Athletic Association champions after winning in recording setting fashion over fourth-seeded Delaware, 17-0, on Friday afternoon, at Veterans Memorial Park.
The Dukes recorded their seventh consecutive shutout, setting a program record, and moved to 34-1 on the season while Delaware fell to 25-9. JMU receives the automatic qualifier into the NCAA Tournament, making its 9th overall and 8th straight appearance.
How It Happened
JMU's bats caught fire right away as the Dukes pushed in 11 runs off 8 hits in the bottom of the first. The inning was highlighted by the long ball as Kate Gordon hit a leadoff solo home run for the third straight day. Six Dukes then singled and later Logan Newton tacked on a grand slam to give JMU a 11-0 advantage to end the frame.
The Dukes did more damage in the bottom of the third as Gordon launched a two-run home run over the left field wall to make the score 13-0 over the Blue Hens. JMU tacked on two more runs in the frame to increase their lead to 15-0. In the bottom of the fourth, Newton fired off a double to left center for two RBI, bringing her total for the day to seven. She tied the CAA Tournament and JMU single-game record for RBI.
Odicci Alexander went to work in the circle recording her sixth shutout of the season and moving to a record of 12-0. The redshirt senior recorded her sixth straight double-digit game as she struck out 12 of the 17 batters she faced.
- Gordon was named Most Outstanding Player of the tournament after finishing the tournament 7-for-9 at the plate and setting a CAA Tournament record for home runs (6) and RBI (12).
- Sara Jubas finished the title game 3-for-4 at plate with three runs and two RBI. The shortstop went 6-for-10 across the tournament with two home runs, five RBI and five runs to claim a spot on the All-Tournament Team.
- Alexander finished the tournament 2-0 in the circle, recording 28 strikeouts. She was 4-for-6 at the plate, scoring two runs and drawing three walks.
- Newton recorded two home runs, nine RBI, five runs, and two walks over the course of the three games.
- Gordon is one long ball away from tying the CAA record for career home runs. She is at 67 after adding six this tournament.
- Newton tied a CAA single-game record and the school record while setting a new career high with 7 RBI in a single outing
- Alexander has now recorded double-figure strikeouts in 7 of the last 8 games after recording 12 today vs. Delaware
The Dukes set a school record for consecutive shutouts with seven. Over those seven games:
- 42 innings pitches, 9 hits, 77 strikeouts
- 58 runs scored, 61 hits, .379 team batting average, 13 home runs
JMU set a title game tournament record with 17 runs scored. Only three times in CAA history has a team scored in double-figured in the title game and JMU has done it all three times.
The Dukes will find out their fate for the NCAA tournament during the selection show which will be aired on ESPN2 on Sunday, May 16 at 9 p.m.