PUERTO VALLARTA (UCFKnights.com) – In a thrilling come-from-behind victory, the UCF softball team wrapped up the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge with a win over Sacramento State, 6-5 on Sunday.
The Knights were led by senior Erin Emanuel and junior Tamesha Glover offensively each picking up two hits. Emanuel started the rally in the sixth inning to propel the Knights to get two runs to take the lead.
Alea White received the start in the circle throwing a complete game allowing six hits and just one earned run and striking out four.
UCF finished the weekend 2-2 and improve to 4-4 overall as they head back to Orlando.
Things You Need To Know:
- Esparza and Breanna Vasquez were named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Esparza finished the weekend with a .333 average, six RBI, and two doubles for seven total bases.
- Vasquez threw a complete game shutout over Northern Colorado giving up just three hits and striking out 10. Vasquez didn’t allow a hit until late in the sixth frame.
- Cassady Brewer wrapped up the weekend 4-for-7 with a pair of doubles and two walks with a .857 slugging percentage.
- Glover will leave Mexico with six hits, three runs scored and an RBI.
- As a team, the Knights hit .315 in four games with 33 hits, eight doubles, and 17 runs scored.
- Weekend stats
SAC: 1-0 | 1st | With the bases loaded, Speith was hit by a pitch.
UCF: 1-1 | 1st | Kaitlyn Jensen was on first and Glover on third, Jensen stole second and the throw was off target allowing Glover to score.
SAC: 5-1 | 2nd | After an RBI single up the middle, the Hornets had runners on second and third and a homer from Brookshire extended their lead.
UCF: 5-3 | 2nd | Aubrey Johnson led off with a single the stole second. Emanuel brought Johnson in off a single through the right side. After stealing second, Emanuel scored off a Klarkowski single to left.
UCF: 5-4 | 5th | The Knights added another run after Esparza brought in Alicia Tomberlin who tripled to center field.
UCF: 6-5 | 6th | The UCF rally continued as they strung together three hits with Emanuel, Klarkowski, and Takiya London. London doubled and brought in Emanuel to tie the game. With Klarkowski on third, the Hornets pitcher delivered a wild pitch allowing Klarkowski to cross the plate and the go-ahead run.
|2/17||11:00 AM||Sacramento St.||vs||UCF||5-6|